Book of crazy

When I first read the synopsis of "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski I knew it was right up my alley.  A bit of romance mixed with horror and mystery.  Then I actually found the book at Barnes and Noble and thought twice about it.



At first glance, it's a 700+ page novel weighing a couple pounds with multiple appendices and a few warnings.  But that's just the beginning.  Flipping through the pages has me wondering how in the world I'm expected to read and understand it.  Not only are there different fonts used, but the layout is... well... see for yourself.





Yes that's right, you're looking at writing upside down in the margins, pages with a mere letter or two and overlapping text.  And that's not the half of it.

I'm so intrigued how I'm going to navigate it, I've spent more time scanning the pages than actually reading.  It's also taken me a while to muster the nerve to finally pick it up.  I'll admit, I'm even procrastinating by blogging about it. Nonetheless, I've finally started it and hope to finish it before the year is up.  I'll let you know how it turns out.







0 comments:

Post a Comment