2014 Reading in Review

I genuinely can't believe it.  Today is mine and E's anniversary!  5 years ago today we stood on the shore in Punta Cana and promised to only annoy each other for as long as we both shall live, twice. In all seriousness though, I couldn't and wouldn't want to imagine life without him.  He is the love of my life and my best friend.

On another less exciting note, at the beginning of 2014 I had just begun reading the fifth installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series, better known as Game of Thrones, when I was challenged to set a reading goal.  I love reading and often find myself unable to put many of my books down even if they're terrible.  Actually, I do have a bad habit of having to finish a book despite it's content.  The only book I've ever left unfinished is IT by Steven King.

Well back in January I figured a conservative goal would be one book a month.  I had hoped to finish it at least by December but when I met my goal around June/July, I knew I would be proud of my number for the year.

Anyway, I'm currently into my next read which is called The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.  It's a fascinating take on what I can only describe as an alternate world in which women are prized coveted objects for the sole purpose of repopulating the earth.  It's just getting started and I'm so excited to read more of the main character's story both past and future.


Since it's only October 10th, I think it's safe to include The Handmaids Tale in the count.  Who knows, I may even get one more in before the 31st.  So with 2014 quickly coming to a close, I can safely say that I will have completed 20 books by the end of the year. I'll post the list with asterisks for recommendations in case anyone is a reading fanatic like myself.  And I am always looking for the next good book or author to get my hands on.  So if you're reading this and you have any suggestions for next year, I would love to hear them.  

1.
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)*   
George R. R. Martin
2.
The Funny Thing Is
Ellen DeGeneres
3.
Love The One You’re With
Emily Giffin
4.
This is Where I Leave You (re-read)*
Jonathan Tropper
5.
Miss  Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Ransom Riggs
6.
Dark Places
Gillian Flynn
7.
Playing Dead
Julia Heaberlin
8.
Middlesex*
Jeffrey Eugenides
9.
The Glass Castle*
Jeanette Walls
10.
The Road
Cormac McCarthy
11.
The Maze Runner*
James Dashner
12.
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
13.
Gone Girl*
Gillian Flynn
14.
And The Mountains Echoed
Khaled Hosseini
15.
The Kitchen House*
Kathleen Grissom
16.
In Cold Blood
Truman Capote
17.
The Thirteenth Tale
Diane Setterfield
18.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
Mark Haddon
19.
And Then There Were None
Agatha Christie
20.
The Handmaid’s Tale*
Margaret Atwood






Edited 12/12/14 to add asterisk to The Handmaid's Tale for recommendation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment